Danger! High Voltage! After a long hiatus and much container shuffling, work on container 10 resumed. There are many experiments under way, wood studs, batting insulation, internal wiring. For a few days I was daunted by the electrical isle and it's 10,000 components. Once supplies were sorted, wiring the house went fairly quickly. Box 10.0 has an external plug and a breaker box in addition to all the usual outlets, sockets and switches. We installed the studs depending on where they hit on the corrugate, either parallel or perpendicular to the metal. There is a 2" variance between the corrugate which means the 2x4 sitting parallel to the metal was still 1/2" shorter than the 3.5" perpendicular stud. In hind sight ripping down all perpendicular studs would have saved me a lot of grief and shimming. I went through about 100 ft of 12/2 Romex wiring 4 outlet boxes, a dual switch and the breaker box. It was a little tricky finding outlet boxes and light sockets shallow enough to sit against some of the 2x4's. For the outlets I wound up using 1-Gang 22 cu. in. New Work Box adn small metal octagon ceiling mounts for the light fixtures. Batting insulation was an easy install although came with all the usual rashy itchiness associated with a week of hugging fiberglass. For the walls I am experimenting with foil lined osb as a cost effective alternative to low grade play with a nicer finish. So far the house just looks like an easy bake oven. Fingers crossed, once it's primed and painted I won't wake up feeling like a well roasted carrot. Wonderful giraffe piñata figurehead, a container warming present from an awesome friend of mine.
Share this post
← Back to Blog